Thursday, April 10, 2014

Don't Blink

I've been pondering what I should write about in my next post, but haven't had time to sit down and write.  I wanted something profound and meaningful.  (This made the task even more daunting.)  I realized my problem makes as good as any a topic for writing about.  I feel there is never enough time to do everything I intend.  Life gets in the way.  Part of the dilemma about "aspiring" is that your writing doesn't actually pay the bills.  I started to get discouraged by work, kids, a house and all the other things that go on every day.  There are times I want to give into the staggering odds and say I'll never make it, but I might as well stab my best-friend in the back.  I created my characters.  I breathed life into their world.  I'm all they have.  Giving up on myself would mean giving up on them.

Okay - so after overcoming my own self-doubt and finding the determination to push on, the problem still looms ahead.  There are never enough hours in the day.

I didn't clear this hurdle in a single bound.  Each day is still a struggle.  Each night before I go to bed, I pick up my laptop and I edit or work out a scene.  Some nights I only manage a few thoughts before my eyes get blurry and I have to concede.  Other nights, I have to cut myself off after several chapters to avoid working on less than 4 hours sleep.  Sometimes I know what I'm planning on writing and other times I just write whatever comes to mind.  Either way, I write.


No matter what happens, I'll just keep writing.  Good, bad or indifferent - I can always determine that later.  Whether it's 5 minutes a day or 5 hours, make the time.  Whenever I'm at my lowest, I make time for me.  After all, we all need a little me-time.  If I share mine with psychics, witches, warlocks, vampires, energivores, succubi and ghosts all the better as long as they're mine.

Speaking of - I'm late to meet them...

No comments:

Post a Comment